Saturday, September 12, 2009

A life of Passion or Going thru thru the Motions

Not but a few minutes ago, I found myself doing some editing on last nights blog, and I remember quite specifically asking myself the question: "why do we all seem to strive for an "easy" life; a life void of troubles and mistakes, etc.?" And then, I pick up my book to read a little more about Mike's thoughts on living a passionate life, when I find myself reading about this exact subject.

What I found is that when we seek an "easy" life, we are actually seeking a life of little or no passion. A life of just going thru the motions. A life as flat as a plateau, no highs, no lows, just flat and dare I say: BORING.

Yes, I life lived w/o passion is just plain boring. So why are we always working so hard to find the easy road? Wasn't it Jesus that said that many will travel the wide (easy) road, and few the narrow (passionate)? Just like when I was young and naive about all the challenges that lay ahead of me, I once again choose the narrow road.

I have found that living my calling; living a life of passion has been far from easy. In truth, it has actually been one heart break after another. But it has also been a life of some of the greatest adventures I could have imagined. Some have described the christian life as this trail of highs and lows, mountain tops and valleys. I agree with that. But I think I like Mike's description, he had mentioned earlier in this book: a rollar coaster...a big one at that, with loop-d-loops, spirals, switch backs, along with all the ups and downs. That has definately been a good description of my life. And even now, as I find myself in a very strange place in my journey, (a place I would not have chosen) I look back on my life, and if I am truly honest, I don't regret. My life has been a life of passion. I live full of the greatest joys and some of the greatest sorrows one can bare. I've lost friends I loved dearly b/c of my passion (most call it bull-headedness). I have friends still that I consider as much family as blood kin. I have laughed till I hurt, cried tears of anquish and of joy. I've moved across country in search of God's voice twice in less than a year. I could go on and on. But one thing I know, I have lived a life of passion and I choose to continue to live a life of passion.

Yes, at this point in my life, I feel like I'm going thru nothing but the emotionless, motions of life, devoid of passion, but I'm confident it can't last forever and I will someday find a place again to express my passion for life and for Jesus and to hopefully show a world that following Jesus and living passionately for Him is worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment